Sunday, October 28, 2012

A Holiday Weekend in the Not-Quite Danger Zone


So a much belated ‘Eid-e Mobarak” to all those who celebrated over the last weekend, and I sincerely hope that all of you who did had as marvelous time as I did for my first real Eid. And (unlike the majority of the readers here) Eid-e Qorbon meant I got a long weekend off from classes, which needless to say was also a heavily appreciated break after a week of midterm-related unpleasantness. I’m hoping this isn't going to be a long update, just a quick recap of everything from this weekend.

Friday was the start of the general Eid weekend, and rather than sitting at home, doing nothing but engaging in awkward, forced conversation with relatives of the host families who I've never met before (don’t worry, I don’t get out of this entirely), one of our professor’s was kind enough to invite us along as he made the rounds to visit his family and friends. Now, if you’re new to what Eid-e Qorbon (or Eid al-Adha, if you’re so inclined, and I am not) is, think Thanksgiving dinner. Now think that with more dessert, multiple times (our run on Friday was 5 different houses), and of course, the centerpiece of the holiday, the sacrificing of the lamb/goat/cow. Yes, Eid-e Qorbon is, if you ignore all of the symbolism, a murderous Thanksgiving that’s been, as much in Tajikistan as in the rest of the Muslim world, rapidly commercialized. I suppose that makes it more of a murderous Christmas then…

In any case, Eid-e Qorbon was, in the short space of just 5 hours, an excuse for me to eat more food in Tajikistan than I've eating in either Tajikistan or America. Period. Also, there were the lovely edition of “Trick-or-Eid-ers”, the rather un-witty nickname given to the kids who go from house to house reciting their little mantra for money or, more likely, Chinese-made chewing gum. And then we get to my favorite part of day 1, the Quran carolers, or kids who go around singing lines from the Quran that have to do with the day (I think? I honestly forgot to ask them what they were saying).

Now that I think about it, Eid in Tajikistan is a strange combination of Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Halloween. In any case, it was awesome.

Speaking of Halloween, Saturday seemed to be the lull day in the weekend, which was spent mostly spending time in the park watching the encroaching snowcaps on the mountains around the city. Until that night, for you see, the building where we brave few study abroad-ers go for class is also the center for the FLEX program, or a program that sends Tajik students to the US for a year to study English. And the FLEX alumni were putting on their annual Halloween party. Now, while this was, for lack of a better phrase, a big high-school style house party, it was a welcome break from what is rapidly becoming monotony on the weekends, and if any FLEX kids/alumni ever end up reading this, you guys put on a damn good party, and I’d like to see if you've got any plans for St. Patrick’s Day…

And that (in quick passing) was my Eid weekend in a nutshell. Any questions, specific or otherwise, are greatly appreciated. As always: Tashakkur and khudo hafez.

No comments:

Post a Comment