Sunday, October 7, 2012

Surprises, Surprises...


So, with another week past, I must admit, I had expected to write about something regarding some vague aspect of Tajik culture that had been interesting me. After all, with a weekly excursion so lovingly marked as “Tajik and Iranian bookstores and Afghan restaurant”, this certainly wasn't going to be a weekend to remember, right?

Wrong.

True, the actual excursion was nothing to write home about, and due to the Iranian bookstore being closed (for reasons that really didn't make much sense), I only came home with a Tajiki language copy of Rudaki’s works. Similarly, the “Afghan restaurant” was a Tajik restaurant, but the Afghan osh (the local Central Asian variant of rice pilaf) they served was a marvelous change of pace from the near constant menagerie of vegetarian soups that my host family has been giving me for dinner.

But then I got home…

Now, as opposed to the other two host families, my homestay has been relatively quiet. A real of lack of guests, aside from the host mother’s nephew (and his wife) and her sister (and her husband) have graced my adopted household. But Saturday night…it was a party the likes of which I’d never seen! True, it seemed to be solely for the grandfather figure of the family and a collection of other men (my inclusion to the affair was the matter of intense debate, but my promise that I would speak Farsi and change into a suit seemed to seal the deal). Upon entry, I learned the reason for the snazzy shindig…cockfighting. Apparently, harmless little Baba Bozor and his friends get together on Saturdays and watch the birds they've been raising fight to the death.

You might be wondering if I’m complaining, but wait, I haven’t gotten to the best part yet. After about an hour of having old men randomly trying to engage me in various topics in Farsi/Tajiki, the food was here. And it was (I seriously hope someone has guessed it by now)…chicken. Yep, we ate the losers. That made Saturday the first day in Tajikistan that I've had meat in all three meals. And it was glorious. Must say, ‘animal rights’ be damned, I love me some Tajik chicken…

Alright, alright, so my Saturday turned out to be eventful, which means Sunday was a day full of homework, yes? Haha, again (I imagine you definitely saw this one coming), false. I decided to go on a nice, relaxing, 15 km hike. Yes, a friend of mine somehow convinced me that the way I wanted to spend my Sunday was to go a hike with a bunch of expats in the small mountains north of Varzob. And yes, it was certainly beautiful, and yes, falling face-first into one of ponds next to the waterfall (and emerging from said pool freezing but with all my electronics working) was certainly nice. But I think I’ll wait before my next hike…

No idea what my next post will be on/when it’ll be. Ideas always appreciated. As always: Tashakkur and khudo hafez.

No comments:

Post a Comment