Sunday, May 5, 2013

به زندگی سابقم، خداحافظ


Well, it’s come to this. Today’s my last day of classes in Tajikistan, followed by three days of exams (and one day of “We curbstomped the Nazis”), and then…I’m done.

It’s hard to believe that the focus of my life for the last 8 months is finally over. It literally seems like a few weeks ago that I couldn't understand anything anyone was saying, and I was struggling to order food at a restaurant.  Now I find myself teaching English classes in Farsi and arguing theology with a missionary from the Islamic Republic. I would never say I’m fluent in Farsi (as I become rapidly aware anytime I actually try talking to anyone about anything beyond politics, religion, food…you get the idea), I can survive here fairly well, which is nice.

Hell, this program has become like a family for me. Maybe it’s because there were, at maximum, three students at all times, but I see my professors here as almost family, and I’m probably living with one of them this summer. These are people who would, and I’m completely serious, would call me at random points on the weekend and see if I (or the other students) were doing anything.

This program has certainly had its ups and downs, but it’s been one hell of a ride, and easily one of the best things I've ever done with my life. And the best part?

I've still got three months left in Central Asia.

This will be my last update for a while. I've got exams to finish up, and then it’s a week-10 days in Badakhshan and Kyrgyzstan. Pending my return from that, I’ll be back, hopefully with plenty of stories for you good folks.

As always: Ташаккуру Худо ҳафез

No comments:

Post a Comment