Wednesday, May 22, 2013

ماجرای تابستانم، بخش اول: بدخشان


Eight days. Two countries. Five cities.

Last week, I departed on my long-awaited trip along the Pamir Highway, travelling via various means from my home for the last eight months, through the mountains in the Pamirs, passing over the “roof of the world”, before entering our northern neighbor Kyrgyzstan and crossing through that own country’s Tian Shan mountains, through the city of Osh, before taking the final stretch of road to the capital of Bishkek. I expected it to be a week I’d never forget.

I don’t think I realized quite how crazy it’d be…

Due to the sheer extensiveness of this story (and…other factors), I’ll be breaking this into three posts, each detailing a different place: Tajikistan/Badakhshan, the border, and Kyrgyzstan. Given I’m a sucker for chronological order, we’ll be starting at the beginning…
---
On the morning of the 13th, I went to a hidden away parking lot near the airport, and sought out a mashrutka. My destination: Khorugh, the capital of the autonomous Gorno-Badakhshan province, the first stop on my route to Bishkek. After a few minutes of negotiation, I found a van headed east, and was all ready…to sit and wait. For four hours. You see, one of the gents who was going to Khorugh had lost his personal ID, and since entry into Badakhshan is heavily regulated, we couldn’t go until he found it. So we sat, and we sat, and we sat, but eventually everything sorted itself out and we were off!

After an hour or two of driving, I’d become fairly well acquainted with the guy sharing the backseat with me, Edik, and his wife; but I’d realized one tiny, and slightly disturbing fact…we were going the wrong way. Badakhshan, and by extension Khorugh, are located in the east of the country. As we passed Nurak, Kulob, and Muminobod, it became clear we were driving south, and thus taking an incredibly roundabout way into Khorugh. And for a journey that can take up to two days, “roundabout” isn’t necessarily a good thing.
By the time we finally entered Badakhshan proper, I was already planning on how exactly I was going to take the mashrutka and everyone in it down with me as we plunged into the raging river separating Tajikistan from its equally lovely neighbor, Afghanistan. But there were some positives. The mountains that the route weaved through were absolutely stunning, and verdant hills were made even lovelier by a paved road. And at night…by the time the sun was finally down, the number of stars in the sky were beyond counting. It was simply amazing.

Rolling in at about 2 AM, after nearly 16 hours on the road, I rapidly realized there was a problem. My plan had been to stay with the family of a friend for the 2-3 days I was expecting to stay in Khourgh. Only problem was that, several hours prior, the contact number I’d been given had “stopped being in service”, meaning I was, effectively, without a place to stay. Shit was probably one of the nicer things I was having going through my head. But remember how I said I was getting chummy with that guy Edik? Well, as he and his wife made quite clear, there was no way they were going to let their new friend sleep on the street his first night in Khorugh. So yeah, felt like a bit of a dick for wanting to drive them into the river a few hours before…

When the morning came, I was off. How to describe Khorugh…now this part is tough. On one hand, the people of Khorugh proved to be a marvelous bunch. As opposed to the titular Tajik nationality, Khorugh is primarily populated with ethnic Pamiris, a group of closely related Eastern Iranian peoples who, among other things, have their own (radically different) language(s) and their own sect of Islam. Oh, and they really don’t like being talked to in Tajiki, that was a lesson I learned a little late. Now, contrasting this, the “city” of Khorugh is nothing but a glorified village. After walking through the entire town within the course of 90 minutes, and realizing to my horror it was just as expensive as Dushanbe, I did the only reasonable thing I could think of: I walked through the garbage dump at the edge of town and into the surrounding hills, armed with only a bottle of water and my Farsi translation of Romulus der Grosse.  Those several hours I spent alone with my thoughts, watching the town following the river below, were easily some of the nicest in my trip.

However, that night I returned to the “city” and, after resettling in the Pamir Lodge, which is actually awesome and worth checking out if you’re ever in the region, making friends with Steffan, the Dutchman who’d ridden a damn motorcycle from Amsterdam to Khorugh, and meeting the Josh Kucera (internationally renowned post-Soviet security policy scholar) in an Indian restaurant doing interviews for an upcoming article, it was time for a decision.

For you see, it was May 15. Meaning it was my birthday, and I had a choice to make. Did I want to find something to do in the nearby Wakhan Valley, or did I want to press onwards to my next destination, Murghab? After learning that a taxi to the Wakhan was about $100 (and proceeding to learn that Pamiris really don’t like it when you curse them out in Tajiki), Murghab it was!

My trip to Murghab was certainly different than my trip to Khorugh, mainly due to the fact that Murghab (and eastern Badakhshan as a whole) is radically different than the western half. For it’s in the eastern half of the province that the so-called “roof of the world” is located. And let me just say, the vast moonscape-like plains, snow capped mountains, and pristine alpine lakes we passed were…I guess awe-inspiring is a good word. The other major difference with this part of the country is the ethnic makeup. In the west, they’re Pamiri, which at least looks Tajik. In the east, they’re Kyrgyz, and if you’re unfamiliar with the difference, spend a few minutes on Google Images, you’ll be in for a treat.

Now I got to have three experiences with the Pamiri Kyrgyz, all of which are worth mentioning:

First was in the tiny (and I do mean tiny) village of Alichar. Located in quite literally the middle-of-freakin’-nowhere, when we pulled into the village, I had no idea what was going on. I was the only non-Kyrgyz in the van, and therefore the only one who, in the last six hours, had only been able to figure out that joq meant ‘no’. So I was confused, out-of-breath (more on that next), and was equally surprised when the older guy sitting next to me (honestly, I’m half tempted to call him ‘Kyrgyz Merlin’ based on how he looked, but what he did next would make feel like a complete shithead if I did that) gestures for me to go into one of the houses. Now, I won’t mince words, the Kyrgyz in the Pamirs have a tough life. There’s jackshit of practical use up there, if there’s a problem, it’s a several hour drive anywhere helpful, and it was below freezing in the middle of May. So what happened in this house? The family of the aforementioned older Kyrgyz guy had made us dinner. Not gonna lie, literally don’t have the words to express the gratitude I felt for so many things at that moment. Might not have been a birthday cake, but it was a damn fine meal regardless. Also, they offered to find me a “proper, Kyrgyz wife”.  So there’s that…

(Off topic, but really thinking I should start telling people I’m married.)

Anyways, second was that night. As we pulled into Murghab at about 10 PM, it was pitch black and below freezing. And, once again, I had nowhere to stay. Adding insult to injury, the fact I was now 3500 meters (~11,000 feet) above sea level meant that even a light stroll would leave me winded, and I was left with the conclusion that I was probably pretty screwed. Then, I met my salvation: Shorat. This guy, who knew Tajiki well enough that we’d been conversing much of the ride, said he would not only invite me into his home, but would arrange transportation for me to Osh the next day. Not bad, especially for guy who (as I’ll later describe) I’m pretty sure was a drug-trafficker.

The morning of the 16th, after learning that Murghab, unlike the rest of Tajikistan, runs on Kyrgyz time (i.e. UTC +6, not +5), Shorat, the driver, and I set off for Osh. We continued on our way until we reached Karakol. Now Karakol is three things:

1.       A military checkpoint
2.       A village that serves as a way station for truckers and hitchhikers
3.       An alpine crater lake that was, like most of the year, frozen when we got to it

And it was here at Karakol, apparently picking up two people who I would learn were bound for Bishkek (including the “child from hell”…), an old woman came up to the jeep and started knocking on the window. After a short conversation in the melodious Kyrgyz language, Shorat told me the woman wanted me to come with her. Already weary about secret marriage proposals, I was hesitant, but I went. What I found was a small bowl of fresh-made yak yogurt and naan, and an old Kyrgyz babushka frantically encouraging me to eat. No idea what she was saying to me as I eating away, but it was a/another damn fine meal, and more hospitality than I’d been expecting.

Through the mountain passes we drove, 5000 meters above sea level, through wind-slept plateaus and snow-covered hills. As we approached the border though, I had no idea how “interesting” the guards at Kyzyl-Art were going to make my trip…

No comments:

Post a Comment